Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Washing away the old and bracing for the new.

I’m sure there are many people that 2013 was the best year of their lives.  To this blogger it was one of the worst I have been through in about 15 yrs.  That’s saying a lot, but as I had it pointed out to me it can’t be all bad. So prior to the start of a brand new year I thought it might be a good time to reflect on the things that were positive from 2013 and hopefully set up the right mentality for a positive and productive 2014.
1)      Repaired my hernia.  This was a HUGE win for me this year.  I had put that nagging injury off for 3yrs.  It cost me a good deal of fitness and limited me in many ways.  Because of this repair I will be primed for a solid return to my former self!
2)      Son played first season of basketball. Yes, I know this isn't necessarily huge, but in some ways it was.  He really enjoyed it and loved being part of the team. He even went so far as to have weekly extra practices with me and my father. Was very proud of him for the hard work.
3)      Got central air and heat!  This was a big victory on the renovating of my 1917 home.  It took a ton of work and creative thinking to install, but the results have been phenomenal!
4)      Officially committed to a relationship. Scary as hell, but banking on it being worth it long term. My divorce made me extremely gun shy about relationships along with how it would affect my relationship with my ex wife and telling my son about it.  Turns out it was better accepted by everyone than I would have anticipated.
5)      Knocked driving a Lamborghini, shooting a handgun, and trapeze from my bucket list. All of these were a great time and really fun activities. Driving an exotic sports car of that high end was like flying a jet on the road! Trapeze was a blast personally since as a former gymnast I rarely get opportunities to cut loose with all the safety equipment around! Doing the shooting range was fun because I just had no experience with that kind of weapon and I always feel it’s important to have knowledge and experience for any scenario.


As you can tell some of that is a struggle to find positive things about this year. That will be different this time next year! Now everyone is going to be jumping on New Year’s Resolutions, but I’ll save the next entry to cover how to set effective goals for the year and how to put a plan behind them. Big things are coming next year for anyone willing to step up and take them!

No comments:

Post a Comment